Mentors inspire, encourage, and support you, as well as contribute to your student development. You can expect to
- Strengthen your time management skills
- Understand how to utilize Ashford's learning resources,
- Increase your social network within the Ashford learning community
- Have fun building relationships!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Am I eligible to be a CHAMPS Mentee? We are excited for your interest in the program! In order to be eligible, you must meet the Ashford University Basic Academic Requirements and be a current active student. Once you apply, the Ashford staff will review each application to ensure the applicant meets the eligibility requirements.
- What do the mentoring plans cover? There are several mentoring plans available through Champs designed to match the individual needs of our mentees with the unique academic and professional experiences of our mentors. Mentees will work with program staff to determine which plan is the best fit and can earn the opportunity to complete multiple plans. For more information about the mentoring plans, click here.
- How do I connect with a Mentor? Complete your application and look for communication via email and phone from a staff member. You will be informed about an upcoming group orientations and once you are ready for mentorship, you will be connected with your mentor in our next cohort.
- How long will the mentors be available? Mentors make commitments to work with you to reach each program milestone. There are seven unique milestones that take on approximately 7-10 weeks to complete.
- What do I do if the relationship is not going well or I am concerned about membership, what to do? Let your mentor know about the situation and contact the Admin immediately. You will have our full support to resolve the situation in a positive and satisfactory manner.
Find a Mentor Today!
Discover the perfect resource for your educational success here.
- Take a proactive role in shaping the relationship.
- Understand what you want from the mentoring relationship and communicate your goals and aspirations to your mentor. Balance your personal and professional relationship with your mentor.
- Set aside time for the mentoring process, keep all scheduled appointments with your mentor and display professional behavior.
- Put the time with your mentor to the best use. Come to meetings with your mentor prepared with planned topics.
- Respond in a timely manner to your mentor's feedback. Respond to emails from your mentor at most two days after receipt.
- Be open and honest with your mentor about your challenges and weaknesses.
- If something concerning the mentor needs to be discussed with others, it should first be discussed within the mentoring relationship.
- Ask for advice on everything.
- Blame the mentor if his or her advice doesn't work out.
- Expect the mentor to know all the answers.
- Commit yourself to obligations you cannot keep.
- Cancel meetings/visits with your mentor at the last minute.